The Writing Newbie

Writing is an adventure. Enjoy the journey and write the way you love!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Rhetoric, Speeches, Things That Annoy Me and Tumblr


As promised another blog post! It's already late, so I nearly broke it on day one! (ooops). 
I'm diligently working at the moment on my rhetoric homework. 

I have to write a speech for tomorrow and I'm utterly stuck, which is one of the reasons why I'm here writing this post.

Some of you might know the show Firefly and those of you who don't--stop reading and go watch it. I'm serious. Go. Now. 

Watched it? 

Awesome right? Anyway there's this one quote of Book when he says to Mal: " If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre. " 


Which got me thinking about people talking in study sections of libraries and silent parts of the train. Where people sit on purpose. To study. To read. To think. To not have to listen to horrible chatter for just a few glorious minutes. And then this couple shows up (loudly) and you feel this fear in your stomach, your heart beats faster and you look at them pointedly, waiting for them to move along or notice the sign.

'Oh look it's the silence part!' the girl says, anything but silent. The boy nods but they sit down anyway. It's the middle of the day. Not much traffic. Lots of empty spaces. 

'So what did you think about --- blah blah blah blah"

"Well - blah blah blah - we should probably be silent.'

"yeah," the girl answers and with a sigh stares out of the window. During all this time I have not read a single word of my homework and gave them plenty of stares. I took this seat to avoid trouble, to take it easy and relax and just make my homework. I don't want to confront them.

'So,' the guy says in a fake whisper, louder than I talk. Louder than normal people should talk. 'Jake called to tell this horribly personal and embarrassing thing that people in the train sitting here, trying to study or focus should not and don't want to hear about. So let me tell it all to you in great and gory detail so that you can laugh and scream hysterically."
 
"And then let's get off at the same station that girl there, trying to study, is getting off."

.... thank you. So much.



I cannot stress how many times this has happened to me. Often now I just sit in the regular departments. Somehow they don't annoy me so much when they are allowed to talk.

Anyway back to my speech writing. I think I have some material now. 

What is something that annoys you guys to no end?

Keep Writing! 

Xx Noortje 



ps. I now have a tumblr! Yaaaay! (wribie.tumblr.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment