The Writing Newbie

Writing is an adventure. Enjoy the journey and write the way you love!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Creative Writing, Style and Sherlock

As you can probably tell from the lack of posts around here, I've decided that a post a day just isn't for me--besides that would probably get boring really fast for you guys as well.

University has yet again managed to make my life super busy, even though I have a semi-creative writing course at the moment that I absolutely love. For my midterm we have to write two short stories in two different styles (one of them Charles Dickens). Which is fun and educational. 

I've always been a big believer in the (unspoken) rule that every aspiring writer should read. In fact I have recently delivered a speech about exactly that subject. Reading passages and analysing them with others is a great way to learn about another author's style and I have certainly learned a few things from them. 

I might never use it of course, but the knowledge is there and now I can actively decide whether or not to use it in my writing. 


On other news, I have started editing again. My goal is to have it "finished" around Christmas, so that I can let some close friends and family read it. After one more edit it--and after reading it aloud!--it should be ready to be send out! Exciting! 

And last but not least: Have any of you watched the new Sherlock Holmes series, Elementry? Any thoughts? I loved the series, as much as I can't help feeling that it's kinda a rip-off from BBC's Sherlock. Even though it's similar in setting, the show is completely different. I love how they always manage to make Sherlock...well Sherlock. Any opinions about Watson being a woman? I think this is going to be a very interesting show... 

I will try and write another post about writing somewhere this week. Thank you guys for still following my blog and as always:

Keep Writing!
Xx Noortje 



No comments:

Post a Comment