The Writing Newbie

Writing is an adventure. Enjoy the journey and write the way you love!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Feel Good and Write

There is nothing worse than wanting to write, but finding that you are unable to. Whether because of work, school, family visits or that pile of dishes that really, really should be getting cleaned by now; it happens. 


So here is what I have been doing with myself the last couple of days: 


There seems to be periods in the year where everyone is ill or under the weather at some point and you just know you'll get it too, dreading the moment. Because it will strike and it will be at  the most inconvenient time possible.


As you might have read in my last post: I'm ill. Still. This is turning out to be one of those horrible illnesses that just drag on and on. Even worse because I'm fit enough not to lie in bed all day but feel horrible enough not to do anything of importance.

Sufficient to say I've watched a lot of movies this week. In fact here are my four favorites of the (waaaaaay too) many that I watched, in no particular order:



1. Eat Pray Love -- Yes I've seen it before and yes I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies. I love feel good travel to another country movies, especially if it involves writing/writers in any way. Which brings me to:


2. Under the Tuscan Sun -- which I've literally just finished five minutes ago. And I LOVED it. Very much the same feel good vibe of EPL and it is awakening that ever present urge in me to just quit everything, pack a bag and go see the world (which grows with every passing day that the weather gets warmer. It's bad). 


3. Finding Forrester -- Just loved to see how the kid struggled with his writing and how everything worked out. Amazing movie! At one point Jamal had to write anything just at that moment, and he couldn't do it. I got so frustrated (along with William in the movie) that I wrote a page myself.


4. Home for the Holidays -- an oldie but I had never seen it before and LOVED it. 


There were many more I assure you--all good--but I won't bore you further :) 


There is some actual news on the writing front! Together with a few friends on Twitter I've foolishly, bravely and madly started something which Kerry Schafer (www.kerryschafer.com)  delightfully called #insanonano .... because ... you know... it's insane


Basically we're doing the same thing as NaNoWriMo every November but now from 21 Feb till 21 March. So far I've got 7153 words.

Even though it's crazy and hard work--I love these kinds of things. I love how it "forces" you to write and I love the encouragement from my friends on twitter and the sense of community of knowing that no matter how mad it drives you, that you're not alone. 


For anyone interested in our progress please follow me on twitter (@Lordkiwii), I would love to hear from you! 


What I wrote at the beginning is my frustration at wanting to write but feeling to drained and tired to actually do it. Which, as I'm beginning to realize, is utter nonsense of course because I'm writing all this to you now.

Who's been stalling as well, telling themselves they couldn't write? Go! Stop reading and write right now! 



...


Still here? That's alright. I hope you're all doing well and manage to escape from this horrible flu season and write lots and lots. Or at least a few words which you really enjoyed writing. 


Keep Writing!

Xx Noortje 



ps. Sorry for the gigantic white lines. There not here when I type and can't seem to get rid of them :') 




1 comment:

  1. I loved NaNo and so I decided to do the 100k in a 100 days challenge Jan-April. Although I've not written much in last three weeks, it did help to get a good chuck of my WIP done. These challenges are great for focusing on writing, but they can take over your life. Sometimes you need to breath. That's how I felt about this challenge.

    Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete